Wednesday, March 12, 2014

[Extended Review] Avon Eyeshadow Primer (+ info and tips!)

Hello ladies (and maybe gentlemen)!

I am here today with a review about a product that I consider essential in my makeup routine. It's the eyeshadow primer from Avon. Before I start, I would like to apologise about the lack of pictures, my camera is not really good, and the product itself is kinda small and almost empty as I write this, so I took the picture from Avon directly.



I bought this primer more than a year ago when it was first launched in the greek catalogue. Back then it costed 4,50E (~6.50$) which was a really affordable price for me, considering I had never tried an eye primer before. Now it retails at 7,50E (~9$)-(Avon holds offers now and then so check the catalogues every now and then to hit the offer). I don't know how much exactly it contains, but it is a lot and it will last you for a long time, judging from mine at least. I remember myself complaining about my eyeshadows creasing too fast and not staying on my eyes for long. Haha, I am so glad I discovered eye primer :P

This product comes in two shades everywhere I looked, light beige and dark beige, but in the greek catalogue (as far as I know looking at the last catalogue I was sent) it comes only in the light shade. I do not think that this will be a problem though, and I will explain why:
The primer has a very thick creamy concistency. It doesn't smell anything in particular.The ligh beige one has a beige colour with a pinkish/salmon-y undertone, which is great for covering the lid's blue-ness (Seems like I make up words today). This kind of colour is exceptional, cause it negates blue so it makes your eyes look fresh and awake instantly!! One thing I discovered is that you have to be light handed with it and not use too much, because apart from the fact that it is really thick and therefore hard to work with in big quantity, it also gets a lil patchy if you use more than what is needed. Just dab your finger lightly in the pot and work your way with it. Be a bit fast cause it tends to set kinda quickly. Also, personal tip, try to have as cold finger as possible. Unlike with other products that need to be applied with the warmth of the finger, this one works better when it's kinda colder in my opinion. Feel free to disagree though, cause we are all different, so we don't operate the same way :) In any case, experiment with it a lil bit and see what works better for you ^^. I find it applies better with the finger and I wouldn't recommend a brush, since it could make your life difficult.

It's very potent as a prduct, it makes my eyeshadows pop, even those that are kinda chalky and it definitelly makes them stay on for a looooong time. No kidding, I have experimented with it so much, I have even made it go through a crash test. It started creasing after 6 hours, but it wasn't anything too dramatic, so +2h was also okay. This number will obviously vary for everyone, but I think that you could easily go out and forget about your touching up your eyes :)

 I would definitelly recommend this for people with oily eyelids like me, honestly it will make your day!! It dries and leaves your eyelid smooth and soft and it will prevent creasing (under normal temperatures) for at least 4,5 hours (according to my experience).


Q & A

* Do I really need an eyeshadow primer?
I would definitelly recommend you to buy one, especially if you have oily eyelids, since it will help your eyeshadows stay on for longer. Even if you don't have oily lids, it will help your eyeshadow colours pop and look more vibrant. To me, this is an essential product to any eyeshadow lover out there! If you never wear eyeshadows then you will probably not need it, since you can cover any blue hues on your lid with a concealer.

*Can I use it under my eyes, where I get blue hues and dark circles?
No, eye primers are formulated to hold the eyeshadow on your lids, not to cover ant darkness. The fact that this one does cover darkness on the lid is another story and it just adds to its value as a primer. You can use it on your lower lashline though, especially if you are gonna use eyeshadows there as well and try to smoke out things. I tell you, whatever falls on this primer stays there and won't transfer.

*Will it change the colours of my eyeshadows?
Nope! Think of it as a "magnetic base" for your shadows. It doesn't interfere with the colours whatsoever.

*I don't have oily lids, should I buy it?
To be honest, I have no idea how it will work. I assume that since you have dry eyelids, you would want to use something less dry than that, there are a lot eye primers out there with less heavy texture. From my experience, adding dry on dry will end up looking kinda bad.

I hope I helped with this review, for any more questions or opinions about this product, don't hesitate to leave a comment down below ^__^


4 comments:

  1. Is it veeeery very thick? Thicker than, say, the average moisturizing cream? Kinda like most cream eyeshadows?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't even compare it to a moisturizer. I believe the image I posted shows its texture accuratelly. It is thick yes, think of it as a thick cake dough. I don't know how else to describe it :P And that's why you don't need a lot to work with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks more creamy than dough-y to me :P

      I can't for the life of me work with cream eye products properly. I envy you! :P

      Delete
    2. I feel silly, but I can't really compare it's thickness to something that everyone knows xD I admit, it is not the easiest product to work with, especially cause it dries out super fast, but at least it gives me exactly what I need :)

      Delete